Thursday, August 2, 2012

Let the Celebrations Begin!

August is a big month for celebrating in my family and this year is no different. While today may be my fathers birthday... the royal celebration doesn't truly begin until Wednesday which marks my 21st birthday. And man has it been a long time coming! But to be a bit more selfless, I also recognize August as the birthday month for my Aunt Alice, my grandmother, my cousin Patrick, and many many more.


Although I can be rather witty and sarcastic (not to toot my own horn) with my father, I truly can not believe that he is 58 years old today. He may look young but there is no denying his age. However, when joking around with him over breakfast it really got me thinking about how lucky I am to have two healthy and active parents. Not only am I blessed enough to have both of my parents alive and involved in my life, but I also have a close relationship to several of my extended family members. As I grow older each year, the reality of the world gets heavier and heavier and constantly reminds me how life can change in an instant. While my dad is doing great for his age, his baby sister is currently fighting end stage lung cancer. I could not imagine a worse feeling than to have to watch my sister go through something so horrible and I know it gets to my dad.

I am not writing this post to sadden your day, but instead to remind you to be grateful for each day, each month, and each year you are given. Do not take for granted the time you have with your parents and grandparents and siblings. I have been blessed to have avoided any losses in my close family to date, however I have watched my friends be forced into accepting a void where a loved one once belonged.

So celebrate life this week in honor of those who are not so lucky and enjoy the rest of the week... I surely will!

Happy Birthday to my father, who I may not always see eye to eye with, but who I will always love despite his ever persistent stubbornness. 
Please donate here to help those who are fighting cancer celebrate another birthday