Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Little Wisdom and a lot of Love

Although I have only been in classes for two weeks now, I have already enjoyed my first weekend getaway. For those of you who do not know me very well, I am constantly on the go. Whether I am bouncing back and forth between the library, the mall, and work, or between South Carolina and the Eastern Shore, I am never in the same place for long.  Some people find this way of life irresponsible while others just find it confusing; however, I have grown to love the adventure.



I am currently writing this post from the University of Pennsylvania, where my boyfriend attends.  Now, do not take me for one of those girls who throws away her four years of college life to run off to a boy every chance she gets.  I do visit him often but purely because I believe some feelings in life are rare and should never be taken for granted. Again, I am sure many of you are thinking that I am too young to know about love and that I should enjoy my youth but, I can promise you I am not naive and I am most certainly living my life to the fullest.  Regardless of where our relationship goes in the future, the happiness I find with him is something I never imagined existed. Cheesy, yes I know, but that is not the point. The point is that we are only given one life to live and I do not want to waste however much time I have not embracing love.

My whole life, my parents have been divorced, as well as the majority of my friends parents. These days, it is nearly impossible to look around and see couples that love, respect, and trust one another. The most basic qualities we look for in our relationships seem to only exist now in fairytales. I find that we have lowered our standards and no longer believe that what we picture in our dreams can become a reality. This goes both ways too. While we not only expect less than what we should, we also inertially do not treat others the way that they deserve to be treated. Friends, couples, and even siblings seem to no longer believe that love in all of its greatness, is real. Again, I am not an expert nor have I been married for 50+ years, but I can say that I know there is a feeling inside of me that has forever changed who I am.



I have dealt with a lot of anger growing up and I have become the happiest I have ever been so far in my life. I have opened up to my sister in a way most would never have thought possible (because we were already so close before). I am comfortable with myself, internally and externally. I have found a sense of confidence that had been hiding for many years. And most importantly, my faith in love has been restored. I do not attribute this all to my boyfriend... he is not that amazing. It is the relationship we have built together that has given me these things. We have managed to create a bond based on trust, respect, happiness, honesty, passion, and love. There are no secrets and no BS. Having someone in my life that can not only respect me, understand me, and love me for all of my craziness, my flaws, and my future mistakes, has made not afraid of life.



This post is not meant to be all sappy; it is meant to remind everyone that we should all expect the best for ourselves.  Whenever we find something that brings us to a place of true happiness we should embrace it. Do not let the fear of losing keep you from your dreams. Life is all to precious and I plan to keep traveling and exploring all that this world has to offer. There are millions people in this world and each is capable of changing your life. There are also countless places to see and explore.

If you ever get the moment to talk to someone who has survived cancer, hopefully they will also have a perspective on life similar to this. Speaking to family members who have beaten  cancer and who have also lost loved ones to cancer have also contributed to my views.  So while some people will judge me for driving 525 miles through the night to see my boyfriend or for pulling an all-nighter the night before a test at 8:00 AM to celebrate a best friends birthday, those moments are the ones that make my life amazing. If I was ever to be diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, I want to be able to look back and know that I have not wasted anytime and that I have enjoyed as much of this world as I can.


Please help those whose may not have as much time to fulfill their dreams due to breast cancer by donating HERE.