Sunday, September 2, 2012

Finding support (in something other than a bra!)

I can hardly believe that my last 'first week of school' has come and gone. While senior year is a time to celebrate countless years of schooling coming to an end, it is also a time to buckle down and make all those years of work worth while. I certainly did not expect this past week to be so brutal, but in typical nursing school fashion, it was. 

When someone says nursing sounds like an easy job


#whatshouldwecallnursing is probably the best blog to help explain what nursing school truly is like. It is also quite hilarious. 

As always, no time was wasted and my classes, my clinicals, and work all came storming out of the gates. However, instead of ending each day in an all out state of panic and anxiety, I was shockingly at ease. Looking back at my chaotic week, I realize that there were a few stand out moments that I truly believe helped derail my stress level. 

I knew that one of my number one priorities this month was going to have to be fundraising, and the realization of how much further I have to go was enough to get me moving. I have been hoping that my workplace, Cantina 76, would be willing to hold a percent night in order to help me raise money, so an email was sent out to my manager immediately. What I received in reply though, was more than I had ever anticipated. The majority of restaurants that commit to kicking back a portion of their sales to a cause typically agree upon no more than 10%. However, Cantina 76 has unbelievably offered to donate 20% of their sales that night. I am so grateful to not only work with some of the best people, but to also have owners and managers who truly care about their employees and are willing to help me out. 


Once the date was set, my next order of business was to spread the word; and of course, that meant Facebook. For the past few years, my entire nursing class has had a Facebook page that we use to communicate about classes, clinicals, and anything else that comes to our minds. So, I thought reaching out to my classmates would be a great place to turn to for support. Again, I received more than I had hoped. Not only did people agree to come out for the percent night, but some also took the extra step to donate. As if that wasn't enough to make me smile, I also had a classmate go as far as thanking me for committing to walk. Up until this far, I have dedicated my efforts to Melissa and every other woman in my life. When my classmate shared with me that her grandmother is fighting breast cancer for the second time around, I began to realize how life changing this experience is becoming. 

The more I have spread the word about this cause and my efforts, the more I have learned from my peers. I never expected so many woman to come forward and tell me their stories. Not only am I learning from them, but it is also lighting a fire in my soul to push harder to raise money. It has made me more driven to get up and train for the walk, and it has made all the hard work worth while. 

My goals for this experience are continuously evolving and each day I become more excited for the walk itself. I know it is still going to take a lot on my part, but this all is no longer work in my opinion, it is one girl doing her part to save a life. 

Please help me spread the word by sharing this blog with your friends and family. Also, please help me continue raising money by donating here or by attending the percent at Cantina 76 on September 18!