Sunday, September 16, 2012

Rockstar Ronan

While my main intention for this blog is to raise awareness about breast cancer, I have recently come across stories of people fighting different types of cancer and I feel I should pay tribute.


The other night, on my drive home from work, I heard a story on the radio about a little boy named Ronan Thompson. This cute little baby was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma cancer in August 2010 at the mere age of three. After fighting for eight months, he sadly passed away this last May three days before what would have been his fourth birthday. Although his death is a tragedy, that is not the main reason his story has gotten so much attention. This little boy was blessed with an amazing mother who had created a blog, RockstarRonan, in order to spread awareness and to one day raise enough money to end childhood cancer. Some of you may think this is a bit much for one woman to take on, but it only takes one person with enough determination and passion to truly make a difference. To prove how much of an impact that one person can make, I suggest you all take a moment to read this article.




All it took was one mother sickened by the reality of cancer to start a blog, and now her son's story is national news and has been turned into a song that is at the top of the iTunes chart. If that is not incredible, I do not know what is. So today I want to switch my focus over to childhood cancer and ask all of you to donate to The Ronan Thompson Foundation.  Some of you reading already have children and realize that one of the scariest thoughts imaginable is the fear of losing a child. As for those of you that have not yet experienced the joy of having a child, like myself, it is incredibly scary to think that you could give birth to a child and have to watch him or her spend the majority of their life in pain. 

There are many more types of cancers out there that can affect people of all ages and races, and this week I want to focus on them. Cancer is cancer, no matter what part of your body it affects, and hopefully more people will pledge to end cancer just as Maya Thompson has; and who knows, maybe one day we will find a cure to all types of cancer.